Saturday, March 24, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!

Yes, it's that time again -- I had a birthday, but please hold on a minute...


I love it when new followers find their way to our blog.  Today I am happy to report we have two new followers:  "Adventures of a 50 Year Old," whose blog is here.  He and his wife are not fulltimers -- but you never know what the future holds.  They live in Scottsdale, Arizona, and he just recently started their blog, so check it out. 


Welcome Michael -- his blog, "RV0777," is here.  Michael is in the process of preparing for his life as a fulltimer.  Be sure and check out his blog as well.  A great big welcome to both of them. Hopefully, you will find something interesting from our adventures.  I have to admit the last few months have been pretty boring with not much happening but my health issues.  HOWEVER, we are putting all that in our rearview mirror when we leave this area on Thursday for Charlotte!


...now, back to the birthday.  Why does it seem the older you get, the faster time flies?  I am blessed and thankful to celebrate yet another year!  Cannot believe I am 64 -- YIKES, I said it -- out loud.  Next year I will hit the big 65...Medicare, if it's still around, here I come!

My birthday was Thursday, the 22nd.  Alan took me to lunch at...
We shared fajitas...OH MY WORD!

I ate some of the chicken, the veggies and most of the beans, rice, guacamole.  We never eat fajitas the traditional way -- rolling it up in a flour tortilla -- we just eat right off the plate with no tortillas.  Needless to say, there was plenty to take home.

Yesterday my daughter Alissa and granddaughter Sarah came to take me to lunch and to shop.  
Sarah, Alissa and Moi 
We had lunch at...

The Twisted Fork is a family-friendly restaurant that celebrates "playing with food"...not literally.  They want you to think about the possibilities on the menu to get the exact gourmet meal you want.  They perfect each plate from their self-proclaimed "scratch kitchen," where everything on the menu is made fresh.  So what did we order?  Alissa ordered a lamb burger with seasoned fries; Sarah ordered Tilapia with asparagus; and I ordered the black bean burger with sweet potato fries...
Why do restaurants serve such humongous helpings??  My mouth is big, but it won't fit around that sandwich...thank goodness!
After that meal, we decided to wait on dessert -- for now.
After lunch, we were off in search of a dress for Sarah.  She will be participating in an art show at her school in April and is required to wear a dress.
Accessories are important...
...but shouldn't we buy the dress first?

So on to the mall we go...

After trying on what seemed like a ga-zillion dresses, Sarah settled on these two...
Playful...
...or Sophistication?

She decided to check out a few more stores before making a decision, so we put the dresses on hold and continued our search.  She also stole my camera to keep me from taking more pics...LOL!

When all was said and done, we went back to Macy's and purchased this one...
Since she is no longer a teeny-bopper -- but a college student and a beautiful young lady almost ready for the "real" world -- sophistication won out.

We did go back to the Twisted Fork for dessert and shared a piece -- one piece -- of...

We had a great day, but I have to admit -- I was WORN OUT last night, I assume from all the walking we did.  I had a GREAT birthday and am looking forward to the future.  

As I mentioned, we will be leaving the area on Thursday for Charlotte.  We are excited about being on the move once again.  

Even with all the food I've eaten in the last couple of days, I managed not to gain weight -- didn't lose any but at least I didn't gain.  

Thanks for taking the time to stop by.  Until next time, may God continue to bless our family, friends, fellow-bloggers and those we meet along the way!


14 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you, Marilyn!..and my vote was for the sophisticated dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday. Sarah looks great in that dress - I think it was a good choice. It sure seems you had a wonderful day. Have fun and drive careful on your journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. I agree -- Sarah does look great in the dress...she and her Mother got all the good genes:o)

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday, Marilyn. Sounds like a fun day. I'm thinking that you have visited some very fun and different restaurants in that area. For us, it seems like we always end up back at Applebee's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like trying "local" flavor, but you know what to expect when you stick to the chains, like Applebee's -- we often do that as well.

      Delete
  4. I'm always surprised when I don't gain any weight after a few days of indulgence. One of the "diet" articles I once read said it was good to have a higher calorie day once a week or two because otherwise your body thinks you are starving and turns your metabolism down.

    Glad to see you are feeling good, even if you are a bit tired at times.

    I just had to go thru a series of extra mammograms and ultra sounds. All seems good thank goodness! You know it will always be a little scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the article you read is right -- you just have to have those days ever now and then. Even tho I had a burger and fries, I chose the black bean burger with advocado, bean sprouts, etc, and sweet potatoes because I felt it was healthier.

      Happy to hear your series of mammos and US came out okay -- and you're right, it will always be scary at times. We just have to stay on top of it.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday - what a great way to celebrate!!! Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday. Hope you have a good time in Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Gayle -- birthday was great. Even if it means I'm another year older, I am blessed and thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday. The Surgeon General has determined that birthday celebration is the leading cause of aging This warning may be too late for this year, but please be careful.

    ReplyDelete